Every year the Marshalltown Community School District hosts a student art show. The teachers mat and hang all the pieces in the Fisher Community Center for the month of March. I participate by choosing a student work from Lenihan Intermediate, Miller Middle, and the High School for framing. I consult with the art teachers to identify students who would benefit from a little encouragement.
After I have them framed, they are revealed during the Artists for Education Silent Auction. This year the event was kicked off Thursday, April 19 and bidding on items will continue till the Wrap Up on Thursday, May 10th from 4:30 - 6pm at Midwest Frame and Gallery. All proceeds benefit the MHS Art Department so please, make a trip out to see all the great donations!
The 2018 awardees have a chance to see they newly framed artwork before they hang in the Fisher Community Center near the Chamber of Commerce offices for the upcoming year. The 2017 awardees get to take home their projects. (The three pieces on the right are from this year's student art show and on the left are last year's projects.)
I have five main goals for doing this every year.
1) students are encouraged to progress with their artistic endeavors (the collaboration with teachers is key in this aspect) and the chosen students were not awarded in any other way for their artwork
2) honoring the artwork so students/parents see the artwork as "frame worthy" - not just stuck to a
refrigerator with a magnet where the artwork deteriorates quickly
3) the older students are part of the framing process - they learn how framing is designed and completed
4) Fisher Community Center/the Chamber of Commerce has a rotating display of "emerging" artists with
signage attributing the work to the MCSD students
5) in the end, the students receive free framing
Of course, I get a kick out of it too! It's always exciting to see the student works, collaborate with the art teachers and see the smiles of the students after they see their work newly framed!
Another year of MCSD student framing complete and another year of fundraising for the MHS Art Department! Please stop by and see all the great things happening in my little shop!